Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Hasslington Blog-Site Turns One Year Old; also, A Comment On Comments

ONE YEAR OF BLOGGING HAS ENDED AND ANOTHER ONE HAS BEGUN....

Yesterday, this blog-site had its first birthday, though I was too caught up in the Minnesota Twins baseball game to write a post about this milestone. (The Twins won, by the way.)

This whole experiment is still a work in progress, which I consider a good thing in that it has allowed me to post my thoughts regarding a range of topics--political, cultural, and otherwise--as opposed to staying focused on one particular area of personal interest. It has also allowed me to experiment with post lengths and posting frequency, a process of evolution that I am by no means finished exploring.

So what might Hasslington's second year have in store as far as the look, feel, and content of this blog-site are concerned? At this point, I'm not sure. So stay tuned.

COMMENTS ARE WELCOME BUT WILL NOW BE SCREENED; THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

From this point forward, all comments written on the Hasslington blog-site will be read and approved (by me) before being posted, due to the fact that I have banned one individual from posting comments here.

This is the first instance in which I have banned someone from commenting on this site, and I hope that it is the only instance in which such a "banning" occurs from this point on. (This particular individual has been banned from at least one other site in the last couple of months, though that didn't make the decision any easier, since I'm generally wary of taking such an action.)

If readers wish to challenge, refute, and/or question anything I have to say--or if they wish to agree with, affirm, and/or extrapolate upon what I say--the comments section will remain open and welcome to your thoughts. It's simply the case that I will read what you have to say prior to it being posted, which will require a little more patience on your part.

I don't anticipate having to ban future comments from anyone who wishes to engage in a substantive exchange of ideas that are displayed in a challenging but mature manner, because that seems to me to be the basis of a healthy debate. What I won't accept are comments characterized by an overly smarmy, juvenile tone and designed mainly to start the internet equivalent of a playground fight.

(For context, 175-or-so comments were posted on this site during 2008, though some of them were my responses to comments left by Hasslington readers. None of those comments were erased by me, and only a few of them were erased by the authors of those comments themselves.)

No comments: