Monday, October 27, 2008

October 27 Is A Great Day For A Birthday

THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF PEOPLE BORN ON OCTOBER 27:

James Cook (British sea captain), Theodore Roosevelt (former U.S. President), Dylan Thomas (British poet), Ralph Kiner (Hall of Fame American baseball player), Warren Christopher (former U.S. Secretary of State), Sylvia Plath (American poet), John Cleese (British actor/comedian), John Gotti (notorious American mofia boss), Ivan Reitman (Canadian/Slovakian film director of "Ghostbusters" and "Kindergarten Cop"), Marla Maples (who among other things used to be married to Donald Trump), Scott Weiland (lead singer of American rock band Stone Temple Pilots), Zadie Smith (celebrated contemporary British novelist), Hasslington (who happens to be the exact same age as Zadie Smith), and...uh...Kelly Osbourne (who among other things is the daughter of Ozzy).

ALSO...

November 4 is election day here in the U.S., so even though sloganeering for particular candidates will surely occur on that day, the final full day of campaigning is really the previous day, November 3. This means that we have about a week of campaigning left to endure. Since the candidates' media exposure levels will only increase this week (!), and therefore cannot be "beaten," I say we "join 'em" for this final temporary stretch run.

For my part, I'll be wearing my "Obama/Biden" button as often as possible up to and including election day, with the obvious exception of when I'm at work, where political ads of any sort are (thankfully) banned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many happy returns! 27 October is not quite as fine a day as 22 October, a date shared by Franz Liszt, Doris Lessing, Jeff Goldblum, and Shaggy (singer, not Scooby-doo character)...

Hasslington said...

Sarah, I take (a little bit of) issue with your suggestion that October 22 is the better of the two days, but I suppose that's natural, and I therefore appreciate your comments nonetheless.

I hope all is well in Blighty. It has turned quite cool here. Winter is just around the corner....

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday - though as I understand in the commie land we both advocate for, birthdays will be illegal.. or is it the fascist land, darn it, I never get my right wing revisionist propoganda right.

Anway, have a pint, or 5, but don't have them on me that would be gross.