Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Few More Quick Weekend Notes: The Vikes Lose And It's Cold--What Else Is New For Minnesota In December?...

--Well, I got the score right, but I messed-up when it came to predicting the winner of the Minnesota Vikings versus Atlanta Falcons football game. (Since predicting accurately President-Elect Obama's and Senator McCain's running mates, I've been on a bit of a losing streak.) Though it was played in the Metrodome here in Minnesota, the Falcons (who are now 10-5) won 24 to 17. They deserved to win, too--though the Vikings were the more talented team, the Falcons were the smarter, more consistent team today. So they're headed to the playoffs, whereas the Vikings (9-6) will need either two Chicago Bears losses or a win against the New York Giants next week in order to make the playoffs. It's coming down to the wire for the Vikes, who have stumbled-and-fumbled through the last few Decembers....

--Tomorrow is December 22, which in some ways I consider the first day of spring, due to the fact that the days start to get a little bit longer at that point. Remember, please, that I currently live in Minnesota, where our high temperature today was about zero Fahrenheit (about -17 Celsius), so I like to fake myself into thinking that spring starts in late December. I try to keep this in mind during our coldest stretch of the year, which is from about now until Valentine's Day or so. (It's hard to believe that it was over 90 Fahrenheit with high humidity here quite often last summer, but I guess I'm still sort of readjusting to life in the Upper Midwest after having lived for a while in temperate, if soggy, England.)

No comments: