Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Few Quick Weekend Notes: "Friday's Child" Has Learned To Wear Interesting Clothes; Also, A Vikings Versus Falcons Prediction

--Yesterday, I said that I would watch an old episode of "Star Trek" sometime soon, in order to quietly thank Mr. and Mrs. Roddenberry for the wonderful show. Well, today I was channel surfing, and I happened upon an old episode of "Star Trek" titled "Friday's Child." I watched it with a smile on my face. Sure, the "aliens" in this episode were obviously humans wearing what might be described as theater costumes featuring extraordinarily arbitrary color schemes. (One of the aliens looked like a kid's cartoon character, without the goofily happy-clappy attitude.) What mattered most, however, was encapsulated in the fact that Mr. Spock was a bit miffed that an alien child was named for Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy but not him, to which he responded with an avuncular bit of humor that was appreciated by everyone. That's a true sign of friendship.

--My Minnesota Vikings (American football team) will play the Atlanta Falcons tomorrow in the Metrodome in Minneapolis. Both teams are having very good seasons; they both have records of nine wins and five losses. This should be a closely-fought game, but the Vikes are tough to beat at home, so I'm going to predict that the final score will be Minnesota 24, Atlanta 17. (A win would put the Vikes in the post-season playoffs.)

No comments: