Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Norm Sould Run Against Arnold In Order To Achieve A Unique Political Trifecta; Also, "Inauguration Day," In More Ways Than One

NOT-SO STORMIN' NORMAN

The endless 2008 Minnesota U.S. senate election may or may not be settled completely. One way or the other, the state's canvassing board declared Al Franken the winner yesterday.

Norm Coleman lost the 1998 Minnesota gubernatorial election to former professional-wrestler Jesse Ventura. He has now apparently lost the 2008 Minnesota U.S. senate race to comedian Al Franken. (This occurred six years after the death of U.S. Senator Paul Wellstone a week or two prior to that senatorial election, and the rather off-putting public memorial service that followed a few days after the tragedy, which allowed Mr. Coleman to squeak out a win.)

Perhaps Mr. Coleman should now move to California and switch political parties (again), in order to lose badly in their next gubernatorial election to Arnold Schwarzenegger...?

NEW JOB ON INAUGURATION DAY

Last December, during a months-long stint as a long-term substitute teacher, I applied for a permanent teaching job at a local high school. Today I was informed that the job is mine. I was also informed that my first official day on the job will be January 20, 2009, which happens to be the day on which President-Elect Obama officially becomes President Obama. To be starting a new job the same day the next leader of my country starts his new job is something of an honor for me, particularly since I voted for him.

Hopefully, we'll both do well in our new jobs. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations on the new job, an exciting day to start indeed.

I stopped at Tescos on my way home tonight and two contrasting headlines made me giggle.

Times: "Obama's First Term" Picture of Sasha Obama looking through a tinted car window, caption reads along the lines of 'Well she might look nervous, seven-year-old Sasha starts her new school, travelling under the eagle eye of the Secret Service"

and next to it, the Independent: "No Nerves Today" Picture of Sasha Obama having a cuddle and a laugh with her father, wearing a back pack and school clothes and generally looking happy and relaxed.

The juxtaposition of these articles made me smile...

Hasslington said...

Sarah--

It's good to hear from you.

Nearly all of us have had the experience of going to a new school for the first time. (Given my profession, even at my age I sometimes have that experience....)

I'm sure a lot of us would agree that standing onstage and looking composed in front of thousands of people on many occasions--and surviving months of intense media interest--while your father runs for the highest office in the U.S. is a piece of cake in comparison to your first day in a new school, particularly when you're about ten years old.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely agree that the first day of school is a difficult experience, I started a new school aged nine and I really hated it. I think my description got a little muddled. Both papers were talking about Sasha Obama's first day at school; one said she looked nervous, the other specificly said she didn't look nervous! The fact that they were both broadsheets and next to each other on the shelf made me smile.